The Chartered Institution of Highways & Transportation (CIHT) has published the Creating better streets: Inclusive and accessible places review.
The aims of this review are to
- Set street design within the overall context of the statutory requirements on local authorities set out in the Equality Act 2010 and other legislation,
- Set a framework of clear objectives that authorities can use to provide the basis for developing designs and the monitoring of completed schemes,
- Review a range of schemes identified as shared space and draw a number of conclusions around the typical bene ts and impacts of such schemes,
- Suggest a classification of different street design types that might be helpful in developing approaches to future schemes, and
- Recommend areas where further work is required by the profession and by government.